Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My unit!!!


We had a very successful open house for our hospice inpatient unit on Thursday, March 10th and opened on Friday, March 11th with three whole patients. I cannot say enough about how much I am in love with what I do now. I work with some amazing men and women and I feel honored to have a career where I am invited into one of the most intimate moments of my patient's lives. I wanted to share a few pictures of our beautiful unit:


This is one of two family areas. The other is a quiet room while this one has a computer, television and phone:




The butterflies that adorn the corner of the entrance into the rooms that signifies that someone is actively dying:


One of only 2 rooms that have shared beds. The chairs pull out into a single bed:

This is one of the single rooms that includes a couch that pulls out into a bed and there is flatscreen television and ipod stereo that sits opposite the bed:

Another view of one of the single room:





I have been asked multiple times what I do. I have to reflect on this. Technically, I give people a comfortable death whether that be by administering pain medication when they are in pain, wiping their feverish brows, or simply sitting beside them and holding their hands if they have no one else in this world. But it is so much more. I hold weeping wives as their husbands lie dying beside them, I educate sons and daughters about what to expect when their mothers and fathers begin to transition, I assure husbands that although their dying wife may not answer, she will hear every last word he says to her. It is a wonderful job, one that I feel I was placed on this earth to do.



"It should be a sacred day for you when one of your people dies. A sacred day when the sould is released, when it returns to it's home." -Black Elk






















3 comments:

  1. It's so beautiful! Both the unit and your words. tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That darn butterfly...when I worked labor and delivery, we put a butterfly on the doorway of women who would be delivering a "sleeping" baby. Because of that, butterflies have become very symbolic. Good luck in the new field!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You moved me to tears. Thanks for sharing! ~ I can't say it enough... I'm so very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete